Dismay as Leigh School comes down
Despite pleas from the local campaign group, the Prince's Regeneration Trust and SAVE, demolition finally commenced at Leigh Girls Grammar School this week.
Click here for local news article and picture.
When it was opened in 1922 Leigh Girls Grammar School, near Wigan, was the first large scale educational body for girls in the area. It continued as a school building until last year, even though it ceased as the Leigh Girls Grammar School in 1976. A significant number of Leigh residents cherish fond memories of days at the school.
Work to build a new primary school on the site completed in the summer. Demolition of the red brick building was the final phase of their works. Its destruction is a needless waste, the building is in very good condition and could have been saved and converted.
The building was architecturally impressive and was a significant local landmark. The architect was Henry Littler many of whose churches and other civic buildings are listed, unlike this one. It was built in a baroque revivalist style and sash windows, classical style door surrounds and stained glass added to its value. Its loss is great.