Lodge built by Nash on the Isle of Wight- for sale
31st March 2020
This quirky early 19th century lodge, designed by architect John Nash is for sale. It was built in around 1816 to serve nearby Northwood House on which Nash was also working at the time for his friend, George Ward. Once one of two lodges, both in the form of different minature temples, this lodge is the only one to survive. It is known as Church Lodge as it stands close to the Church of St Mary the Virgin where Nash also built a tower at about the same time which serves as the Ward family mausoleum.
The charmingly chunky minature portico which forms the main feature of the front elevation is recessed with 4 columns of the Tuscan (or simple Doric) order. There is a deep attic storey above this and a hipped slate roof. It stands in a good sized garden plot with a high stone wall. At the rear there is a 20th century extension. Inside, on the first floor, there is a beautiful curved panelled wall and a good amount of original woodwork.
The lodge has not been in use for some time but has planning permission and listed building consent for modernisation and extension as a residential property. This includes permission to demolish the 20th century extension and to rebuild it as well as create parking and access in the garden. It is on the market for offers in excess of £350,000 through joint agents, Spence Willard and Hose Rhodes Dickson. Click here for particulars.