Remains of fairytale gates seek happy ending
The gates were designed by Cottam and Hallen in around 1850 for the Great Exhibition of 1851 and were constructed of cast and wrought-iron. The listing entry describes them of having a 'cage' construction, square on plan, with scrollwork decoration and cast iron moulded capping. They are shown in a number of contemporary illustrations.
The owners of the site are investigating whether anyone would consider taking on the gate piers with the possibility of relocating them, subject to listed building consent. Please contact Caroline Hobbs (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Tiggy Moore (email@example.com) with any queries or interest.